Tuesday, April 03, 2007

'a third place' and recent readings

I have three books I am reading and re-visiting now as we get closer to going public with our "a third place" community center located here in Turley, OK as a way of becoming a more incarnational church. (To keep up with this movement from attractional to incarnational church send me an email and I will place you on our weekly email list). I recommend these books, in addition to the ones by Hirsch and Frost commented on earlier here, for anyone wishing to start a new way of being in relationship with people already coming to your church or with those who don't, haven't, and won't come--but with whom you can still be in deep relationship, which is what counts.

The three books are:

1. "The Gospel According to Starbucks: Living with a Grande Passion" by Leonard Sweet (great conversation guide included; I will be using this post Easter as we finish with the DVD series "Saving Jesus.").
2. "The Great Good Place: cafes, coffee shops, bookstores, bars, hair salons and other hangouts at the heart of a community" by Ray Oldenburg
3. "Brand Lands, Hot Spots & Cool Spaces: Welcome to the Third Place and the Total Marketing Experience" by Christian Mikunda.
I will be excerpting from them. But if you have read these or can recommend others in the same vein, please do. TIA.
End.





Type rest of the post here

No comments: