Tuesday, April 03, 2007

'a third place' and recent readings

I have three books I am reading and re-visiting now as we get closer to going public with our "a third place" community center located here in Turley, OK as a way of becoming a more incarnational church. (To keep up with this movement from attractional to incarnational church send me an email and I will place you on our weekly email list). I recommend these books, in addition to the ones by Hirsch and Frost commented on earlier here, for anyone wishing to start a new way of being in relationship with people already coming to your church or with those who don't, haven't, and won't come--but with whom you can still be in deep relationship, which is what counts.

The three books are:

1. "The Gospel According to Starbucks: Living with a Grande Passion" by Leonard Sweet (great conversation guide included; I will be using this post Easter as we finish with the DVD series "Saving Jesus.").
2. "The Great Good Place: cafes, coffee shops, bookstores, bars, hair salons and other hangouts at the heart of a community" by Ray Oldenburg
3. "Brand Lands, Hot Spots & Cool Spaces: Welcome to the Third Place and the Total Marketing Experience" by Christian Mikunda.
I will be excerpting from them. But if you have read these or can recommend others in the same vein, please do. TIA.
End.





Type rest of the post here