Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A couple of new books missionally focused plus a coming teaser on The Jesus Manifesto

I have brought a few books with me to use in a presentation I am doing on Saturday at GA on "Emerging Small Groups The Jesus Way" and thought I might mention them now and reflect on them later (I have brought others but they have been commented on here before; the new monastic books; brian mclaren's finding our way again: the return of the ancient practices--if I haven't reflected on it I will). The newer ones are: The Tangible Kingdom: creating incarnational community by Hugh Halter and Matt Smay; and ReJesus by Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch.

And stay tuned for a full posting of Leonard Sweet and Frank Viola's new The Jesus Manifesto, and why I like so much of it, why I think they protestest too much on some accounts or forget some inherent idolatry of neo-orthodoxy just as they point out the inherent problems of liberalism; why I like that they link a kind of cultural evangelical conservatism that only talks about Jesus without walking the Jesus way with the folks in the social gospel but don't talk about Jesus crowd; you will probably google it now and find it but I will try to get back to making it its own post some time this week.

Type rest of the post here

No comments: